Our goal at Blue Bird Dentistry is to provide you with all the information and support you need to maintain optimal health. An essential part of achieving that goal is providing preventive services that allow us to stay a step ahead of problems.
We care about your well-being and want to ensure you receive care that is most appropriate for your needs. Dr. Elnahass and our team want to understand what's important to you, and we enjoy spending time getting to know all our patients. Our goal is to develop a trusting with you, so you feel comfortable turning to us with your concerns.
Prevention – Your Key to a Healthy Smile
If there’s a secret to a healthy smile, it’s prevention. When you support your at-home oral hygiene efforts with semi-annual dental exams and cleanings, you have the foundation for a healthy smile.
Patient education is an integral part of prevention, so our team is always happy to answer your questions. We also use state-of-the-art technology like intraoral cameras and digital x-rays that enable us to share images with you so you can see the problem for yourself and understand why treatment is necessary.
Your comprehensive dental exams at Blue Bird Dentistry are very productive. Dr. Elnahass will:
- Check for tooth decay: We examine all teeth and note changes in condition on your patient record.
- Examine restorations: We check any crowns, fillings, or other restorations to ensure they’re in good condition.
- Take digital x-rays: High-resolution x-rays allow us to see small areas of decay as well as bone loss and tumors or cysts.
- Perform an oral cancer screening: Dr. Elnahass checks your lips, tongue, throat, and neck for early signs of oral cancer.
Professional Dental Cleanings
Brushing and flossing at home are essential if you want a healthy smile. But your efforts need to be paired with professional dental cleanings every six months to be as productive as possible. During your cleanings, your hygienist will:
- Remove plaque – The sticky film that coats your teeth throughout the day is called plaque and is made up of food debris, saliva, and bacteria. Plaque needs to be removed because if it is allowed to feed on the sugars in your mouth, it produces acid that attacks tooth enamel and causes cavities.
- Remove tartar – Plaque that sits on your teeth eventually hardens into a deposit called tartar (calculus). Calcified tarter adheres to your teeth above and below the gum line, and only a skilled hygienist can remove it with specialized dental instruments.
- Floss your teeth – While your hygienist is flossing your teeth is a great time to ask for pointers to make sure you’re getting the most out of your flossing routine.
- Polish your teeth – The final step in your professional cleaning is polishing your teeth to leave you with a squeaky-clean smile.
Please Call to Schedule Your Check-Up
The team at Blue Bird Dentistry would love the opportunity to meet you and welcome you to our dental family. Please call our office today to arrange your next dental exam and cleaning in Fredericksburg, VA.